Monday, March 8, 2010

Seeing the Specialist

OK... BIG DAY. I was dreading today, but after everything unfolded, I feel much better. I went to the Perinatal Unit at the Hospital I am going to deliver at. Of course my blood pressure was high when I got there. They did a quick ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels and everything looked good. Baby was active, too ;o) Then I got hooked up to the monitors (contractions / Baby heartbeat). I got to push a button everytime I felt the baby move, too. It was very active at first and then I think baby decided to take a nap ;o) But everything looked fine! They took my blood pressure again and it was a little lower... phew!

Next up I went to the high-risk-pregnancy specialist. I filled out all the paperwork and finally got to talk to the doctor. He said he didn't want to paint a ROSY picture that everything was going to be fine, but since it was already 11 days since I was diagnosed, he was happy. He told me preeclampsia can develop very quickly and could get severe even within just 24 hours (which is very scary), but at the same time he was optimistic.

So what can I do? That was my big question. He told me that the goal is to de-stress my life as much as possible. That is why I'm done at work. He said I should rest and lounge. He also did say I could get up and move freely within reason. He said I could even go for a SHORT walk each day to get my blood flowin! Basically, he said that I just need to lay low, relax, and enjoy (as much as possible) the extra time.

So my conclusion... I am again reminded after today's visit that God is in control.... NOT ME! If preeclampsia is going to hit hard, its going to come despite any efforts on my part to prevent it. God is working through this situation, although I'm not completely clear as to the reason yet. One interesting thing though... the specialist was looking through my personal information and noticed both Matt & I work in Lutheran schools. He proceeded to tell me that he grew up Lutheran but wasn't currently "anything." Not much more was said then, but maybe God is opening a door there!

PS - Thanks for all the prayers, emails, calls, etc.... especially the prayers. Matt & I both feel overwhelmed by the love we are feeling from everyone. THANK YOU and keep those prayers coming!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,

    I'm so glad to hear everything is great with the baby! We will keep the prayers going! We pray every morning in the car for Baby Marty :)!

    Love,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. kayla and matt, Thanks for the good news. And Dr being 'nothing' right now is going to end very soon if Steve Smith's fire has at all spread to you and Matt.
    Love, ED

    ReplyDelete